Thursday, May 13, 2010

UPSIDE-DOWN MANGO TARTLETS

The hardest thing about this dessert is trying to figure out how to cut a mango.  It probably would've helped had I figured out how to pick a ripe mango.  Had it been ripe, I imagine it would've been a lot easier to cut and I wouldn't of been worried about whether or not I was up to date on my disability insurance, as I precariously wielded the Wusthoff.  Next time I make this dessert, I'm going for the softest mango in the grocery store.   

Upside-Down Mango Tartlets
Makes 6 servings

2 mangoes
1/8 cup macadamia nuts, chopped
1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 T dark rum
3 T butter
1 pinch salt
vanilla ice cream

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut pastry into 6 3-inch circles to fit jumbo muffin pan.

Combine brown sugar, dark rum, and salt in small saucepan, bringing to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil 1 minute, then add butter and macadamia nuts. Stir until butter's completely melted.

Divide sugar-nut mixture into the muffin pan cups. Place on layer of mangoes into muffin pan cups. Top each cup with puff pastry, tucking it around fruit and pushing out large air bubbles.

Bake 20-25 minutes, until pastry's golden brown. Let cool 15 minutes. Run butter knife around edges to loosen . Place rimmed baking sheet or pan over the muffin pan. Invert to release tartlets. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.

Note: Use other fruit and nuts like peaches, strawberries, raspberries, pears and walnuts. Mini tartlets can be made using cupcake pans.

No comments:

Post a Comment