Monday, May 24, 2010

BIRTHDAY CAKE 2.0


Round 2 of the birthday cake dress rehearsal.  This one was made to celebrate the half birthday party for all the babies from our birthing class.  Seven 6-7 month old babies all in a room, along with their first-time parents.  Chaos.  But tons of fun! 

Lessons learned from this attempt:
1.  Hire a bakery to bake and frost the cakes.  It's so much more fun to decorate it than bake it. 
2.  Cakes are heavy.  Be sure to use wood dowels and cardboard in between layers. 

Yeah, it may look like I got a little lazy and didn't use the dowels.  That's why this cake is sinking under its own weight on one side.  Not that I didn't try, those things are hard to cut with a knife.  After one attempt and one injured finger, I decided it wasn't worth it.  Next time I think I'll make Mike cut the dowels with his table saw. 

No comments:

Post a Comment