Monday, May 3, 2010

BIRTHDAY CAKE 1.0

In preparation for Alison's birthday, I thought it'd be fun to try a birthday cake.  Fun?  Maybe for some, but not this girl.  Although I did learn a few things:

1.  Look for cake mix with pudding in it.  That's what makes it moist and seem like it's homemade.  Thanks for the tip Courtney!
2.  Icing a cake is harder than it looks.
3.  Pre-made fondant can be bought at craft stores.  Craft stores?  Kind of weird that they sell edible stuff. 
4.  With all the money spent on pre-made fondant and accoutrements, I could've bought a whole lot of professionally made birthday cakes and avoided the hassle of doing dishes. 
5.  Thanks to the internet, I was able to pull off a halfway decent looking cake.  It only took two attempts. 

Attempt #1: 
Attempt #2:
















Beauty, eh?  Although I should've rolled the fondant much thinner.  Fondant has a playdough-like texture and with it being so thick, it brought back memories of pre-school as I tried to eat through it.  Now the big question is, will Alison be getting a homemade cake, or a bakery cake on her first birthday?

No comments:

Post a Comment