In preparation for Alison's birthday, I thought it'd be fun to try a birthday cake. Fun? Maybe for some, but not this girl. Although I did learn a few things:
1. Look for cake mix with pudding in it. That's what makes it moist and seem like it's homemade. Thanks for the tip Courtney!
2. Icing a cake is harder than it looks.
3. Pre-made fondant can be bought at craft stores. Craft stores? Kind of weird that they sell edible stuff.
4. With all the money spent on pre-made fondant and accoutrements, I could've bought a whole lot of professionally made birthday cakes and avoided the hassle of doing dishes.
5. Thanks to the internet, I was able to pull off a halfway decent looking cake. It only took two attempts.
Beauty, eh? Although I should've rolled the fondant much thinner. Fondant has a playdough-like texture and with it being so thick, it brought back memories of pre-school as I tried to eat through it. Now the big question is, will Alison be getting a homemade cake, or a bakery cake on her first birthday?